How to enter
The Stephen Leacock Memorial Medal for Humour
and $15,000 prize
Supported by TD Financial Group
The Leacock Associates awards the prestigious Leacock Medal for the best book of literary humour written by a Canadian and published in the current year. The winning author also receives a cash prize of $15,000 thanks to the generous support of the TD Financial Group. In addition, the two runners-up are each awarded a cash prize of $1,500.
ENTRY DEADLINE: DECEMBER 31, 2016
ENTRY FEE: $200
No submissions until August 31, please.
RULES FOR ENTRY
1. The major emphasis of each entry MUST be on humour, but literary merit and insightful comment are also important. Books of cartoons and graphic novels are eligible only if they contain a substantial amount of textual material.
2. All entries must carry an ISBN.
3. All entries must have been published in the current year (2016).
4. The author or authors must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants and living at the time of publication.
5. The language of the entry must be English. In the case of a translation from another language, the translation must have been published in the current year (2016).
6. The following are not eligible:
– Books of which significant or substantial parts have been previously published in book form.
– Collections of writings compiled by someone other than the original author.
– Books with more than two authors.
– Electronic books.
7. The deadline for submissions is December 31 of the current year (2016), but earlier submissions are appreciated by the judges.
8. Submitted books are distributed among the judges and/or added to collections of works of Canadian humour held for purposes of literary research in the Orillia Public Library and in libraries of the following universities: McGill, Toronto, McMaster and Alberta. They are, therefore, not returnable.
9. Your package must include:
– Printout of the submission form (see below).
– The entry fee of $200 payable by cheque to Stephen Leacock Associates.
– Author biography.
– Eight (8) copies of the book. ** We cannot return entered books. **
NOTE: Publishers are responsible for the expenses connected with the award dinner for their shortlisted author(s). All three finalists must be available to attend the Gala Award Dinner in June. Further details to be announced.
Please see submission instructions below.
A long list of 10 books will be released April 24, 2017.
A short list of three books will be released May 3, 2017.
The winner and runners-up will be announced at our Gala Award Dinner in Orillia on June 10, 2017.
The Submission Form is an editable PDF file. Please fill it in electronically, save it under a different name of your choosing, and print a hard copy to send to us with your book copies. Your package must include:
- Printout of the submission form.
- The entry fee of $200 payable by cheque to Stephen Leacock Associates.
- Author biography.
- Eight (8) copies of the book. ** We cannot return entered books. **
Please mail the completed package to:
149 Peter St N
Orillia, ON L3V 4Z4
For further information, please contact Bette Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.