STEPHEN LEACOCK STUDENT HUMOROUS SHORT-STORY COMPETITION 2014
FIRST PRIZE – $1,000
SECOND PRIZE – $700
THIRD PRIZE – $300
Criteria for 2014 Competition
PLEASE NOTE THIS IMPORTANT CHANGE: To accommodate students taking English in the fall semester, entries may be made as early as November 1, 2013, but no later than March 8, 2014.
- Entry to this contest is limited to students of Ontario secondary schools, public and private.
- Entry will be a humorous story or humorous personal essay.
- Maximum length: 1,500 words.
- Entry must have a title and be typed, double-spaced on one side of the page only.
- Pages must be numbered, but no other identifying marks may appear on them.
- A cover page must be included and must list the title of the submission, the name of the student, the name of the school attended, its telephone number and email address.
- Three copies of each entry, plus the entry fee, must be mailed to Marilyn Rumball, Contest Registrar, 24 Whistler Pl., RR2, Coldwater, ON L0K 1E0. The entry fee is $5.
- Entries may be made any time after November 1, 2013, but must be postmarked no later than March 8, 2014. The winners will be announced by May 15, 2014.
- The cash award for this year’s contest is $1,000. The first-prize winner will receive two tickets to the Stephen Leacock Memorial Medal Banquet held at the Geneva Park Conference Centre (near Orillia, Ontario) in June, accommodation for two for two nights, and an autographed copy of the Leacock Medal-winning book. All winners will be honoured at a soirée at the Stephen Leacock Home, Old Brewery Bay, the Friday before the Leacock Medal Award Banquet.
- The second-place winner will receive $700; the third-place, $300. Both are invited to attend the Friday-evening soirée.
We are pleased to announce this year’s contest is again sponsored in full by Thor Motors (Orillia’s only Ford dealership) and Sun Media (publisher of The Orillia Packet and Times).
- Inquiries may be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.