THE STEPHEN LEACOCK MEMORIAL MEDAL FOR HUMOUR and the TD FINANCIAL GROUP $15,000 CASH PRIZE ~ 2016
The Leacock Associates awards the prestigious Leacock Medal for the best book of literary humour written by a Canadian and published in the current year. The winning author also receives a cash prize of $15,000 thanks to the generous support of the TD Financial Group. In addition, the two runners-up are each awarded a cash prize of $1,500.
ENTRY DEADLINE: DECEMBER 31, 2015
* Entry fee: $200
* Submit: 8 (eight) copies of each book with payment, author biography sketch, and author photograph 5 x 7 inches or larger.
* No submissions until August 31, please.
Publishers are responsible for the expenses connected with the Award Dinner for the winning author. All three finalists must be available to attend the Gala Award Dinner in June. Further details to be announced.
RULES FOR ENTRY
1. The major emphasis of each entry MUST be on humour, but literary merit is also important. Books of cartoons and graphic novels are eligible only if they contain a substantial amount of textual material.
2. All entries must carry an ISBN.
3. All entries must have been published in the current year (2015).
4. The author or authors must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants and living at the time of publication.
5. The language of the entry must be English. In the case of a translation from another language, the translation must have been published in the current year (2015).
6. The fee is $200 per entry. Payment, a biographical sketch of the author, and a photograph 5 x 7 inches or larger of the author must accompany each entry. Make cheques payable to the Stephen Leacock Associates. *We cannot return books entered.*
7. The following are not eligible:
a. Books of which significant or substantial parts have been previously published in book form.
b. Collections of writings compiled by someone other than the original author.
c. Books with more than two authors.
d. “Virtual” or electronic books.
8. The deadline for submissions is December 31 of the current year (2015), but earlier submissions are appreciated by the judges.
9. Submitted books are distributed among the judges and/or added to collections of works of Canadian humour held for purposes of literary research in the Orillia Public Library and in libraries of the following universities: McGill, Toronto, McMaster and Alberta. They are, therefore, not returnable.
Eight copies of each book, together with the items listed under Rule 6 above, are to be submitted to:
Tel: 705-326-9286 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org